Welcome to my pregnancy blog! I've heard some women tend to forget things, or miss out on what they're going through now, so I'm using my normal blog as my pregnancy journal. Thank you for joining me on this journey with my twins!

Friday, December 10, 2010

Thirty-one Weeks Two Days/Two Pumpkin Squash

Well, I've decided to finally switch to the "second" due date. Originally, my doctor had told me February 6th, and that's where all the week counts have been coming from. I don't remember when, but she eventually switched it to February 9th. Not a huge difference, but it definitely changes where I am in daily gestational age. So instead of today being 31 weeks and 5 days, we're just 31 weeks 2 days. Yep. Huge difference there. :P

Things have been going really well. I've had quite a few appointments this week. My first was Monday, and it was the first time I had to go to the other location for my OB's practice. It was also the first time I met the male doctor for the practice. The second he walked in, I didn't like him. I can't really explain it, but I was just uncomfortable from the very beginning. He was a nice man, older, with white hair. And his hand shook a little as he talked to me. I wonder if maybe it was just that ... it unsettles me if the OB is old enough to have delivered me. No clue why. But either way, I just didn't like him.

It didn't help that I'd been sitting in the room so long that the light shut off on me. And when he came in, he was muttering about how he didn't know he had any patients. Then tells me that no one told him that I was there, so he was just sitting in his office not doing anything. Uh ... thanks? I know it's not your fault, but how do you think it makes me feel to know that I was forgotten? Anyways, his appointment was very short. But once he saw that I'd just been seen the previous week, he immediately jumped on it. "What's going on?" I explained that my doctor had put me on high blood pressure medication and she'd just wanted me to come in to have my blood pressure checked to make sure that it was working. He immediately began talking about non stress tests, and how I'd have to go for them twice a week, with a doctor's appointment on one of the visits. This really aggravated me, since my usual OB never mentioned NSTs when she decided to put me on the medication. I think the fact that I didn't like him just made me more annoyed by what he was saying. So by the time I got home I was so frustrated that I just started crying as I told Ben about the appointment. He suggested I call my regular OB the next day to check if she agrees with this other doctor. When I called her, she said that the NSTs have more to do with twins than with high blood pressure. They usually start them in the 33rd or 34th week. I guess I'm just the lucky one who gets to start early. :P It was easier hearing it from her than from the other doctor...

Yesterday I had another appointment in Hartford. Ben took me, since I had been unable to find anyone else to go with me. He wound up not going back to work after, because I had to go in for another appointment with my OB's office. More on that after. Everything went well in Hartford. It was a pretty quick appointment, surprisingly. The boys looked good, and for the second month, Nudge came in heavier. Nemo weighed 3 pounds 15 ounces, and Nudge was 4 pounds. I checked the "typical" weight for this week when we got home, and it said 3.3 pounds. So they're not overly large, but they're still a bit bigger than average.

Starting around 5 on Wednesday, I had been feeling really nauseous. So I tried calling the OB, since on the discharge paper (from my last trip to L&D) it listed nausea/vomiting as a reason to call the physician. Unfortunately, I didn't call until about 9:40, and the on-call OB never called me back. So the next morning I called after they had opened as we were on our way to Hartford. They scheduled me to come in at 2:45 with another doctor I hadn't met yet (luckily this one I was completely comfortable with when I met her). By the time we got home from Hartford, I was feeling worse, but I was also hungry, so I made myself some plain toast and tea - I actually made a cup of "Morning Wellness" from Earth Mama. I have a package of teas made for moms-to-be, and one is for morning sickness, so I was hoping it would help with the nausea. No such luck. About five minutes before we needed to leave for the appointment, I was in the bathroom throwing up what little I'd eaten. Ben was glad he hadn't gone back to work - the thought of me driving myself to the doctor while I felt so icky worried him. The doctor said that it was one of two things - either the boys were squishing my stomach, and not giving it room to hold any of the food I was trying to eat, or it's a bug that's going around. She said to come back in next week after my first NST and have the doc I see check on how I'm doing. By the time I had some soup and crackers for dinner, I'd started feeling better and had some toast with peanut butter (the doctor told me to try and eat protein rich foods, which should help me feel full longer without needing to stuff my squeezed stomach). Hopefully, this 24-hour run of nausea is over; I can't imagine going the next five weeks feel sick to my stomach all the time!

Also, as of the last appointment, I had lost a few pounds and I'm now at 10 pounds gained over the entire pregnancy! With 8 pounds of baby in there, I think that's pretty awesome!! And both of the last two doctors I saw agreed that they won't let me go past 38 weeks. For twins, that the same as hitting 42 with a singleton pregnancy. So at most I got just under 7 weeks at most to go. It's a little nerve wracking, and I've had a couple mini freak outs about "not being ready to be a mommy." But I'm still so excited. I can't wait (not for the labor, but for them to be here.) When I told Ben a few days ago that we were down to 40 days until the 36 week mark, he replied, "Good. I want to meet my sons." How cute is that? And just two nights ago, as I was cuddled up to him in bed, he'd shake his leg a little to make his hip wiggle. When I asked what he was doing, he said, "Wiggling back at them." since he can feel the boys wriggling around when we go to bed. How adorable is he? I thought it was the cutest thing. I love all my men! It'll be a testosterone-filled house, but I'll be so blessed to call it home. I just can't wait. ^_^

No comments: