Welcome to my pregnancy blog! I've heard some women tend to forget things, or miss out on what they're going through now, so I'm using my normal blog as my pregnancy journal. Thank you for joining me on this journey with my twins!

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Twenty-four Weeks/Two Papayas

Well, hosldfnglkhsdfjwopiejfsldnf. This is not the first time I've tried to write a blog since my last one. For some reason, it just did not want to work for me. Which, of course, caused much irritation on my part. So here we are, over a month since my last post. Completely having missed my two cantalopes (20 weeks), two bananas (21 weeks), and some of my two papayas (22 and 23 weeks). Now that we've gotten to this point, the fruit and veggie sizes are sticking around for more than just one week. Kind of a disappointment. I liked having a new "nickname" to call the boys each week. Oh well. At least this is the last week for papayas.

So much has been going on with these little ones. Their kicks have gotten stronger - and so much more often! There are even a few times that it hurts a little. My boys are getting stronger by the day. Ben has finally felt them! The first time was the Thursday during my 22nd week. We were at childbirth class, and the kicks were feeling pretty strong and consistent, so I just grabbed his hand and put it on my belly. He'd been trying so hard to feel them, but always touched when they weren't moving (total bummer). Now he's felt them a couple more times, and just a few nights ago, he got to feel one rolling over while my tummy was against his side (we'd gone to bed, and I'd been snuggled up against him). I love the look he gets on his face when he feels the kicks ... just this look of wonder, and then he starts grinning. He's talked to them, and whenever he kisses my belly, he always makes sure to kiss twice. This experience has just made me fall in love with my husband so much more. I'm so excited for when we get to hold them.

This past Wednesday was my appointment with the high risk doctors, and they needed to get a few more anatomical pictures. Nemo did not like it when they finished with him and started trying to get a look at his brother. The second the wand moved away, he started kicking me over and over! Like he was saying "Hey! You're supposed to be looking at ME right now!" I laughed, since he's what we've called our "spotlight" baby, while Nudge is the "shy one." And Nudge stayed true to his nickname too. Everytime the doctor got close to what he needed for a picture, Nudge would move. As if to say, "Nooo, stop it! You don't get to take my picture! Go away!!" I definitely had a lot of giggles during the appointment. The most amazing thing, was that 4 weeks prior, at the last appointment, we had been told that Nemo was 11 ounces, and Nudge was 10. On Wednesday, both the boys weighed 1 pound, 10 ounces. They gained a whole pound in a month! It was such a shock to me, since up until then they'd only gained a few ounces each time. The doctor told me that most twins measure below the 50th percentile as far as weight is concerned. Our two are measuring in the 70th. All I could think was "Oh, boy. This is going to be fun..." since I just can't wrap my head around how big my tummy is going to get. The doctor then told me that it was a really good thing, since many of the problems with twins when they're first born are growth related. Since these guys are bigger, that's not as much of a concern (unless, of course, they come out super early). It was really good to know, and a relief, but I couldn't help but still feel a bit nervous. I can't imagine triplet moms, or moms of quads. It freaks me out enough thinking about them having enough room with only two! And while at my appointment, the doctor told me that the most he'd seen was a woman with septuplets. Seven babies?? He said it was scary, because there were just so many. He didn't get to see her to the end of her pregnancy, but had done a scan on them. Just crazy. I'm good with two, thanks.

Yesterday was my baby shower. Earlier than most women have them, but the risk for bed rest and pre-term labor is just so high. I was afraid that if they held it later, I would run the risk of missing my own shower! It was so much fun. About 20 people came, and everything looked so adorable. My mom had bought all the decorations and sent them up last month. Winnie the Pooh decorations everywhere, along with yellow and green streamers. The punch was blue and had three duckies floating in it. Donna made three types of soup (turkey chili, broccoli cheddar cheese, and chicken soup), and Ben's mom picked up everything needed for sandwiches. The best part was that they used cookie cutters on the bread, so that each type of sandwich was a different shape. The baby bottles were ham salad, rocking horses were tuna, onesies were chicken salad, and booties were egg salad. Just too cute!! Then there was regular salad as well. Everything was so good. The cake had Winnie, Tigger, and Piglet on it in frosting. The woman who made our wedding cake made the baby shower cake, and it was delicious! In fact, all the food was amazing. Donna had moved all the furniture out of her living room to make space for three tables and chairs, so that everyone had a place to sit and eat comfortably. Ben's mom prayed over the food and then everyone went through buffet style and picked what they wanted. After eating, we played a few games and they handed out prizes, then it was time to move on the presents. Donna prayed over me and Ben and the boys and the pregnancy in general. She made me cry... But THEN I started going through gifts. Which took two hours to open... We were so completely blessed by everyone who so thoughtfully gave for our boys - we're pretty much all set for when they're here. My mom got us the double stroller and car seats, Ben's parents got us one crib, my dad and Donna got us the other crib. Ben's mom kept joking that we were going to need to buy a shed for all the diapers! Honestly, I was so overwhelemed with the outpouring of love and generosity from everyone. The one gift that made me cry was from my mom. She saved all of my baby clothes. And all the little things that my Grandma had made for me. Of course, most of it was pink or dresses. I laughed that I couldn't use the clothes for the boys, but someone said to save it for the next one, which could always be a girl (we'll see about "next one"...).  But it wasn't until I pulled out the baby blanket that she had made herself - by cutting up her wedding dress - that the tears started. I remember when I was younger, I'd yelled at her for cutting up her dress. Now I have a piece of it with me always. I may not be able to use most of the things for these two little ones, but having them means a lot. There was another gift that means the world to me. It's a Beatrix Potter book that Ben's parents gave to us (along with a bunch of other books, including a mini Beatrix Potter story that used to be Ben's when he was younger). This book was purchased by Jack when he was in his mid-twenties. As soon as the words "it was Jack's" came out of her mouth, Ben's mom started to cry. So this book means so much. I told Ben that there's a part of me that wants to write a message inside the cover - "To Micah and Darius. Love, Uncle Jack." - but I'm so scared that it would upset his mom. I asked Ben if it would upset him, and he said no. But I don't want to upset my sweet mother-in-law, so I'm on the fence about it. I guess we'll just wait and see for a bit.

It was a long day, but it was a very good one. Now we just need to finish the nursery (as in, finish priming, paint the main and accent colors, clean the hardwood floors) and then we can arrange all the gifts. I'm so excited for it; I just keep picturing when I get to photograph every little corner. My babies are going to have the cutest little room. Life is good. Busy, crazy, full ... but so very, very good. :)

No comments: