Welcome to my pregnancy blog! I've heard some women tend to forget things, or miss out on what they're going through now, so I'm using my normal blog as my pregnancy journal. Thank you for joining me on this journey with my twins!

Friday, September 3, 2010

Seventeen Weeks Five Days/Two Onions

Things have been going well this week. After my freak out from last week, Ben and I got to talk for a while. I think it helped just to have someone listen. I was able to get out my fears, and purge the thoughts that had been plaguing me. We've agreed that should someone start in on the negativity (even if they're only trying to help prepare us), we'll kindly ask that they stop. I just don't need those things weighing heavily on me. I think the best part was that Ben had known intuitively that there was something wrong. He said that his "scalp was tingling" - which I guess has happened before when something was going wrong. He'd wanted to ask me what was wrong on his last break, but decided to wait until he got home. I find it interesting that he'd known. But I guess God was sending out a call. I certainly felt a lot better after we talked.

I had another appointment  yesterday, my first with the newest doctor in the practice I go to. She was really young (looked too young to be a doctor, haha), but she's also going to be a delivering doctor, so now there's two in the practice instead of just one. So now if I deliver at DKH, it will either be Dr. K or Dr. T doing it. I like both of them, so either will be fine with me. We got to hear the heartbeats again, though it was much fainter on the doppler she was using compared to the one in Hartford. And she the doppler she had was seperate from the sonogram, so she had to use the sono-wand to find where the hearts were so she could put the doppler in the right place instead of just guessing. Both were in the 150s, so they're still girls according to the old-wives tale. The one picture I got this week was of their two little heads. Looks like a top down shot. I mentioned some of my symptoms to her, since she had said that even if the pregnancy books say it's normal, I need to tell them. The intermittent pains I get in the lower abdomen are more than likely the "stretching" pains of my uterus making room for two little ones. But I also told her about the heartburn, and how I'd had moderate-to-severe acid reflux before getting pregnant. So I now have a prescription to try. When taking Zantac, I'd have to wait for the pain to start before taking one (since I never knew if the heartburn would start acting up, or when) and I always had to take one before bed. If this one works, it'll be just one pill a day. If it doesn't, she said we'll try a two a day pill. Either way, I'm glad I won't have to worry about permanent damage to my esophagus anymore.

The last thing I told her about was that my heartrate seemed higher than normal. They checked it for me - 108. She said it was a little high, so I need to push fluids and rest as much as possible. Fast heartbeat can be a sign of anemia, but it could also just be because I have more blood in my body, so my heart has to work harder (or faster) to get it all moving. She said that if it lasts a few weeks, they're going to have to keep a close eye on it. I had known that everyone needs 8 8oz glasses of water a day (64oz), but she said that for me she'd recommend doubling that. I don't know if I can consume that much water! But as long as I get the 64 in, I should be ok. I know I don't drink near enough. The biggest problem is that we can't drink the tap water where we live, so we have to buy bottled. I'm think that I might get a couple liters (she also said two litres should be fine), and refil them with gallon jugs. We might go shopping tonight to see what we can get.

I still have yet to feel them moving. I'm so impatient for that!! But at least now, I'm feeling some changes. I can feel the hardness in my stomach, and when I sit/stand/move a certain way, it feels heavy. I also have the "muscle aches" you get after a work out and things are stretched and not used to it. Again, usually only when I'm in a certain position. I can still lay on my back, but I have a feeling that will be stopping soon. Over the course of my pregnancy, I've lost about 8 pounds. My stomach is clearly bigger, so those two must be eating up all my calories! Ben keeps joking that he'll make millions promoting the "pregnancy diet". I told him that as long as the pregancies for the diet aren't from him, I'm fine with it - lol. The weirdest part about it is that I'm so tired all the time that I don't actually do any excersizing, or even much moving at all. I spend most of my day sitting. Fifteen minutes on my feet and I'm wiped. There hasn't been much getting done around the house. But Ben is such a trooper. <3 He doesn't complain when he comes home and I haven't done dishes or anything. In fact, he's told me more than once that he'd be more upset if he came home and I'd pushed myself too much instead of taking it easy. He's a big proponent of the "resting mama" style of pregnancy. :) I honestly cannot belive how blessed I am to have him. I can't say how many times I've been asked to clone him, or get him to teach classes! Yep, God sent me the biggest blessing of my life when he came around.

I'd always said that I wanted to wait and be surprised at delivery to find out the sex of my children. I just never took into account how very impatient I am. Ben has no problem waiting, but it's me who's getting antsy. I've known so many people who have been told one thing and gotten the other. I think that when the doctor asks if I want to know, I'm not going to be able to say no. But I'll still have that thought in the back of my mind that they could be wrong. We're hoping for one of each, so we can be done after these two. I want a girl, Ben wants a boy. But since twins are so prevalent in our family trees, we just don't want to run the risk of another set of twins. I'd be perfectly content with two, and while Ben used to say he wanted 3 or 4, he's recently come to agree that two would be perfect. I guess we'll just have to wait and see! Now if only I could start feeling my little wigglers...

No comments: